Athens, GA (Apr 7, 2008) - Larry Munson, the living radio legend who has been calling the play-by-play for University of Georgia Bulldogs for 42 years, underwent brain surgery Friday. According to a report in the Athens Banner-Herald, the 85-year old Munson had the surgery to remove a subdural hematoma, a blood clot between the skull and the brain.
Georgia Football Radio Living Legend Larry Munson
Served as Grand Marshall for the 2007 UGA
Munson only did the play-by-play for home games and the road game at Georgia Tech last season. He missed the Sugar Bowl for health reasons. Munson is planning on calling home games for the 2008 season, hopefully continuing his slow road into retirement.
Eye on Sports Media wishes Larry the best in his recovery.
Some of Munson's Famous Calls
- "Buck back. Third down on the 8. In trouble. Got a block behind him. Going to throw on the run. Complete to the 25, to the 30. Lindsay Scott 35, 40. Lindsay Scott 45, 50, 45, 40. Run Lindsay! Twenty-five, 20, 15, 10, 5. Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott! Well, I don't believe it. 92 yards and Lindsay really got in a footrace, I broke my chair, I came right through a chair, a metal STEEL chair..." - calling wide receiver Lindsay Scott's 92-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Buck Belue against Florida in 1980
- "Hunker down, you guys!...I know I'm asking a lot, but hunker down one more time,come on guys hunker it down one last time!" - in a defensive series late in the game against Auburn in 1982, which clinched the SEC title for Georgia
- "My God Almighty, he ran right through two men! Herschel ran right over two men! They had him dead away inside the 9. Herschel Walker went 16 yards. He drove right over those orange shirts and is just driving and running with those big thighs. My God, a freshman!" - calling Herschel Walker's first touchdown run against the Tennessee Volunteers in 1980.
- "So we'll try to kick one a hundred thousand miles. We're holding it on our own 49-and-a-half ... gonna try to kick it sixty yards plus a foot-and-a-half ... and Butler kicked a long one ... a long one ... Oh my God! Oh my God! ... The stadium is worse than bonkers! I can't believe what he did! This is ungodly!" - calling Kevin Butler's field goal in the final seconds to win over Clemson in 1984.
- "We just stepped on their face with a hob-nailed boot and broke their nose! We just crushed their face!" - calling Georgia's last-second win over Tennessee in 2001